1. Inspect Your Dock for Good Condition.
The work you put in now will not only protect your dock from the extreme winter weather, but it will also make sure it's ready for use when spring hits.
- Clean the surface of your dock with a deck cleaner to remove dirt, fungus and algae.
- Spray your dock with water to see how the water beads on the surface of the wood. If your dock is not adequately repelling the water, it might be time to get it re-sealed.
- Check to make sure you do not need to replace any components. Replace them now so that you're not exposing a weak structure to the brunt of winter weather.
- Check all fasteners, hardware, bolts and skirting. Make sure the skirting is well above the water line.
- Remove any ladders or other attached components in contact with the lake water.
2. Store All Boating Accessories.
This tip may come as a no-brainer. When you decide it's time to put away your outdoor furniture for the winter, it's important to remember the furniture and other stuff that typically sits on your dock all summer. Be sure to store not only dock furniture, but also any life jackets, water toys, fishing rods, etc. If you don't have a good place to store them, look into purchasing one of our dock lockers! Summerset Boat Lifts has a large selection of boating accessories not only to use during the summer months, but also to help you get through the off -season.
3. Install a De-Icer.
Protect your dock, and boat lift, from ice damage by installing a de-icer. The number of units you need will depend on the size of your dock, the depth of the water, lake conditions and the expected weather conditions. Ice can break up entire dock structures, as well as age the wood and even splinter the surface. The best way to protect your dock is with a de-icer, which you can purchase right here at the best boat lift dealer at the Lake of the Ozarks!
Preventing damage to your dock and boat lift at the Lake of the Ozarks from winter weather is much easier and less expensive than repairing your dock after the fact. By taking the time to winterize your dock now, you can ensure an easy transition to your boating lifestyle again come spring. For more information about our de-icers and dock lockers, give Summerst Boat Lifts a call at 573-348-5073!