- According to the Coast Guard, there were 4,463 boating accidents in 2016. Those accidents involved 701 deaths and 2,903 injuries.
- Where the cause of death was known, 80% of boating accident fatalities were a result of drowning. Of those drownings, 83% were not wearing life jackets.
- Alcohol use is the leading known contributing factor in fatal boating accidents.
- 77% of boating deaths occurred where the operator did not receive boating safety instruction.
- Operator inattention, operator inexperience, improper lookout, excessive speed and machinery failure rank as the top five primary contributing factors in boating accidents.
Tips for Avoiding a Boating AccidentBy following these few simple tips below, you'll be less likely to be involved in a boating accident:
- Don't drink and drive a boat.
- Take a boater safety course.
- Wear a life jacket.
- Store safety equipment on board.
- Know the rules of navigation on the waterways.
- Avoid excessive speeds.
- Don't overload your boat.
- Check the weather before you set out.
- Stow paddles or oar and anchor in case your motor stops working.
- Make sure your boat is properly maintained.
- Know what to do in the event of an emergency.
Happy Boating from Summerset Boat Lifts! If you're in need of a new boat lift or boat lift repair at the Lake of the Ozarks, you know who to call. From sales and installation to repairs and service, we are your premier boat lift company at the Lake of the Ozarks. Give us a call at 573-348-5073.
1165 Jeffries Road Osage Beach, MO 65065
Keep up with local news, events and product information by Following us!!