1) Stock your BoatEnsure your boat is ready for the season ahead. This involved making sure you have enough life jackets on board for all passengers. You also need to have boat registration, a throwable PFD, and a fire extinguisher on the vessel. Gather these items before you hit the water this spring!
2) Bring Clothing LayersThe temps may be warm but the feels-like temperature can drop once you're out on the boat moving. The cooler wind across the water and the boat moving can both cause the temperature to feel much cooler than it is. It's best to be prepared and pack some additional layers for your spring boating outing.
3) Check WeatherMissouri weather can change within minutes. It's best to check the forecast before dropping your lift and heading out on the lake. If you're already out and notice a shift in weather, head back to the safety of your dock. Being out on the lake during a storm is dangerous. It's best to keep an eye on the weather before you launch and while you're out boating.
4) Be Aware of SurroundingsThe water level is still relatively low and there is an increase in boat traffic on the lake. Keep an eye on other boaters and be aware of low water areas. With lower and fluctuating water levels, it's best to steer clear of low spots. Hitting the bottom can cause serious damage to your boat, cause injuries to you and your passengers, and bend or break your propeller.
5) Share Boating PlanSomeone on land should know your boating plans. This involves the area in which you're planning to travel and your estimated time of return. If you aren't back within a reasonable amount of time of your planned return, this information can help if a search needs to be conducted.
Bonus Tip: The water is still much colder than the air. Jumping or falling in the water may cause your body to go into shock and make it difficult to breath and swim to safety. It's best to wear a life jacket when you are around the water, especially this time of year.
The best boat lift company at the Lake of the Ozarks wants to remind everyone to take extra precautions as boating season takes off this spring. There may be an increase in boat traffic due to area businesses closing or allowing employees to work remotely. Remember to be aware of your surroundings when boating on the beautiful Lake of the Ozarks!
Summerset Boat Lifts
1165 Jeffries Road Osage Beach, MO 65065
Keep up with local news, events and product information by Following us!!